Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Luxating Patella

Remember a couple years ago when I wrote about my luxating patella? In 2007, I found out I had a Grade II luxating patella in my right hind leg. At the time we were faced with the decision as to whether I should have surgery to correct the issue. The choice to have surgery or not presented itself with certain risks and there seemed to be no win-win situation at the time. Not to mention, the surgery itself is expensive and rehab was going to be very challenging. At the time, my parents decided to wait to have the surgery and see how my leg progressed. Many dogs can have Grade II patellar luxation and be just fine. Others digress to have Grade III and Grade IV, both of which require corrective surgery.

Hearing this diagnosis has done nothing to change how I play. I still run hard, play rough, and jump off the back of the couch. During each trip to the veterinarian, my parents wait with baited breath for an update on my leg hoping it has not progressed to Grade III or Grade IV. Last week I went to the veterinarian for my annual visit, during which we finally heard the news we were waiting for.

Interested in hearing more? Check out my new digs!

3 comments:

Mylo said...

Congratulations on growing out of your Luxating Patella! That definitely gives me hope! I am a Chihuahua with Grade 1 or 2, and the vet said I don't need surgery at this point, but if it worsens I will. Fortunately, I have still been able to run sprints, and jump up and down a lot. Hopefully mine will go away too!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow! Thank you for posting this. My dog was recently diagnosed with LP's and he's only 13 months old!

Even though the LP on his left side is especially pronounced, Teddy runs, jumps, is super active, and doesn't seem to be in pain.

I'm praying that this condition will improve on its own and your story gives me hope that it can.

Thank you!